Sunday, October 7, 2007
Long time since I have posted a quiz. Heres Sunday League 11.Great Show by India as Champions of The World Twenty 20. But they have not quite lived it up in the home series against the Kangaroos. Lets see who does a Dhoni in this quiz.Here go the questions.
1)Which Indian Group recently acquired Scotland’s biggest call centre firm Telecom Service Centres for an estimated $ 81 billion?
2)This brand name is peculiar because the management of the company refused to piggyback on the household family name. According to a company sources, this name was chosen because it did not mean anything. Earlier names like Zapang & Gamefunda were considered before zeroing on this brand name. Which brand?
3)Identify this man, he was the first non American CEO of a company.
4) Identify the logo
5)The first factory of this company, opened in Akron Ohio in 1898. In 1911, it started experimenting with airship design. It later manufactured airships and balloons for the US military during World War I. Name this company.
6) Identify this CEO
7)Connect the following visuals
Monday, August 6, 2007
Finally the Sunday League Series has reached double figures. Thanks to all of you who have responded to this quiz and have furthered its development. Here is the 10th edition of this series
1)Which Indian company has recently signed up a master game sharing agreement with Freeze tag, a California-based casual game publisher and developer?
2)The merger of 3 exchanges led to the formation of this exchange on 22nd September 2000. Name it
3)Identify the advertiser
4)The saga of India's largest company in this area, began in 1942. The company traces its origin to a modest `safety-matches-making-shed' in Sivakasi. During its nascent years, the impetus to storm into the big league of pyrotechnic giants was sensed early by four towering pillars of the company; Mr. Rajaratnam, Mr. Chelladhurai, Mr.Sankaralingam and Mr.Arunachalam. Name the company
5)Identify this CEO (I want the name of the person on the right)
6)Connect the following visuals
Tata special (For Tata Crucible Aspirants)
7)a)This is a multi utility lifestyle vehicle that was launched at the 76th Geneva auto show by Tata Motors . It was derived from the Tata Crossover concept that was unveiled at the last Geneva show. What is the name of this vehicle?
b)This initiative launched by a Tata Company in 2004 was the first outlet of its kind in the country. A significant feature of this initiative is the customers databank, where the consumer's personal taste is captured ensuring that the consumers database of favorite blends and preferences is maintained. This would enable it to provide highly personalised and customised service to the customer every time. I want the name of the initiative or the venture.
c)Identify him. (He heads a Tata Company)
d)Metaljunction is a 50:50 joint venture between Tata Steel and SAIL. Founded in February 2001, it is today India's largest e-commerce company (with e-transactions worth Rs 9,131 crore) and runs the world's largest e-marketplace for steel. It went global by signing on its first international client. Who was this famous client?
Sunday, July 29, 2007
Here's Sunday League 9. The performance of India today at Trent Bridge was great. Lets see who matches them in technique & grit. Tata Crucible Corporate quiz is round the corner. I have dedicated a section for Crucible aspirants.The rules are same. Answers within one week only to those who respond. send your answers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attempt all the questions. Here we go
1)Why was Ruby Celly, a financial planning consultant at Nexus, a leading brokerage firm in the Middle east in the news recently?
2)Which company recently became the first company in the world to encash the carbon credits that it earned?
3)Identify him (a famous name in finance)
4)This is the logo of a company. Name the founder of this company who is a sportsperson
5)This company was started in 1997 by former Exxon engineer David Perry in Palo Alto, California, and received venture capital from Genentech founder Robert A. Swanson, and from VC firms Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers and CMGI@Ventures. It was one of the first online business-to-business (B2B) e-commerce companies. Name it
6)Identify this CEO
Tata Special ( for Tata crucible participants)
7)a)With which Tata company would you associate promotional campaigns Ek-pe-Teen & Do-pe-Paanch
b)Identify the logo (part of Tata group)
c) Taj SATS is the market leader in airline catering. In 2002, it bagged a contract from Oman Air which was its first catering service contract. What does SATS stand for in the joint venture?
d)This barrister turned economist was invited in 1940 to join the house of Tatas as a director in charge of Tata Chemicals. Later on he went on to become India’s Finance Minister. Name him
Monday, July 2, 2007
Sunday League is back after a long gap.Great performance by Team India yesterday.Again the same rules apply. Answers within 1 week only to those who reply. send your answers to email@example.com. Please attempt all questions (My request now turns into a cajole) Here go the questions.
1) This is a print ad that was nominated at Cannes. Name the client
2) Microsoft once threatened 17 year old teenager Mike Rowe with a lawsuit. What was the reason?
3) This is the logo of a company that was currently in the news. Identify it.
4) This company’s roots belong to the times when a 19 year old entrepreneur Jim Casey borrowed $100 from a friend and established the American Messenger Company in Seattle, Washington. Jim and his partner, Claude Ryan ran the service from a humble office located under the sidewalk. Jim's brother George and a handful of other teenagers were the company's messengers. In 1922, it acquired a company in Los Angeles with an innovative practice known as "common carrier" service. This company is set to complete 100 years of service in August 2007. Name it. (Easy one)
5) Identify the logo
6) Connect Wako Fundamental Technical research centre to “legs also” and Eric Cartman.
7) Connect the following visuals
Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Luckily due to some holidays this week i am able to post Sunday League 7. Great performance by the Aussies in World Cup 2007. Lets see who matches them in this edition of Sunday League. Answers n Scores by next week only to those who respond. Answers to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attempt all questions. Here go the questions
1) Ken Kutaragi of Sony recently announced his plans to retire in June 2007. He was the architect and main man behind which Sony product?
2) Identify this person (was in the news recently)
3) This is the logo of a company. Name the company that it recently acquired.
4) It was founded by David Neeleman in February 1999, under the name "NewAir". In the words of its founder, it looks "to bring humanity back to air travel." Recently, as per a survey by Brandkeys, it edged out Southwest Airlines for the top spot. Which airline?
5) Identify this man and his contribution to cricket world cup 2007?
6) This company was launched in January 1998 as a part of the the Rajan Raheja group. It opened its first store in 1999 at Indore followed by the launch of its second store in Chennai (T-Nagar). Soon to follow was another in Chennai located in Adyar. The flagship store in Mumbai was opened on 1st November 2001 followed by a new outlet in New Delhi in South Extension Part-2. Which company/ brand is being referred to here?
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Sunday, April 22, 2007
1) Lalu Prasad Yadav’s dream of having a branded train recently bore fruit when the __________ Express was flagged off from Bangalore to Nagercoil. Name the brand
2) Identify this logo (Hint: this company was in the news. An Indian connection)
3) Prior to 1960, currency and bank note papers were being imported from abroad and in order to save valuable foreign exchange and to manufacture the same indigenously,this organisation was set up in early 1960s as a departmental Unit of Government of India, Ministry of Finance, Department of Economic Affairs, at Hoshangabad (MP) in collaboration with M/s. Portals, UK. The main function of the Unit is to manufacture currency, bank note papers and non judicial stamp papers for the exclusive use of Government of India as per requirement of Reserve Bank of India and the same is supplied to the different printing presses working under Government of India and RBI. Which organization is being referred to here?
4) Identify this person. He is credited with giving the world a famous brand name. (Regulars in the quizzing circuit would find this a sitter)
5)In 1945, a Goan entrepreneur Mr. Govind Ramnath Kare, who was in the business of wholesale and retail trade of pharmaceuticals, started a firm which he named Indo Continental Trading Company. The principal business of this firm was to import pharmaceutical formulations from Europe and distribute them in Western India. However in 1947, after India became independent, the new Government in its bid to encourage indigenous manufacturing of medicines banned import of several formulations. Mr. G.R. Kare instead of being discouraged, decided to venture into manufacturing of pharmaceuticals. Accordingly, on 23rd August 1947, a week after India's independence, a new Company was founded with the intent to manufacture and sell pharmaceutical formulations. What was the name of the new company that was formed?
6) Identify this CEO
7) Connect the following visuals
Sunday, February 25, 2007
1) Identify this businessman (He was recently in the news)
3)Identify this logo (Again current affairs)
4) Dish TV was the first commercial DTH offering in India. It was an offering by which group?
5) This is the logo of an organization.Identify the organization in which it has taken a stake.
6) The foundations of this group began in 1966 with the inception of ________ Rubber Works a small venture to manufacture rubber components. Eight years later, the group diversified into the manufacturing of Beach Slippers and that signaled a new dawn in the history of Indian Shoe Industry. And three years later, the Canvas Shoes followed. Since the last decade, this group has manufactured shoes for Adidas & claims to be Adidas’ only Indian supplier. Identify this group.
7) Connect the following visuals
Monday, January 1, 2007
The Sunday league 3 did not evoke much of a response. Here is Sunday League 4. Answers to email@example.com. Answers & Scores only those who answer. Answers will be posted within a week. Please attempt all questions. Wishing you all a very HAPPY & PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.
2) Which Chennai based apparel brand is the official clothing sponsor of the premier ATP Chennai Open tournament held in January 2007, and will design and market an exclusive line of apparel and accessories starting from the tenth edition of the tournament ?
3) Following is the logo of a company. Name the company that it recently acquired.
4) Originally from the Turkish city of Konya, he obtained a B.Sc. degree in Computer Engineering and Information Science from Bilkent University in Ankara, and earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stanford University. His research at Stanford focused on Web search and efficient PDA usage. While previously working for Affinity Engines, he had developed a system, InCircle, intended for use by university alumni groups. In late June 2004, Affinity Engines filed suit against his organisation, alleging that he & his organisation had based a new service on inCircle code. Who is this person?
5) What does this document indicate?
6) Identify this ad
7) Identify this CEO